Re: 24 guage wire

>> if you tie "four" 24 gauge conductors together, what is the process for
>> determining equivalent wire gauge?

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote ...
> Robert is correct- approximately18 guage.
>
> If you are just carrying line voltage, tying them together isn't a
> problem. If you are carrying a signal, line attenuation could be a
> problem.

Robert's method (adding diameters)  may be close this time but it is wrong.
2+2 = 2x2 but that doesn't mean the 10+10 = 10x10.

There are a lot of things involved in a equivalent wire gauge.
The resistance is a significant factor.  It is related to the area of the
wire, not the diameter.
Lewis Gardner had the correct method for this.
}} 24 AWG = 404 circular mills
}} 404 X 4 = 1,616 circular mills. Almost 18 AWG (1620 circular mills).

This works for all combinations of wires.  Not just fortunate numbers.
You don't need to use circular mils, but charts for them are easy to find
and save calculating areas from diameters.

Are you primarily interested in equivalent current carrying capacity.  If
not,  all this is for nothing.  You need to decide what specs you are
interested in and compare them.

For max current carrying capacity, you are looking at temperatures in the
wires.  Small wires with extra layers of insulation in a bundle could build
higher temperatures than a single wire.  If you were stringing the wires
with flow between them, they could be an advantage.

Without knowing details, I would recommend under rating any combo of wires.

--
Bill Fuhrmann