Re: 24 guage wire

> Robert's method (adding diameters)
> may be close this time but it is wrong.
> 2+2 = 2x2 but that doesn't mean the
> 10+10 = 10x10.

I don't know where the 10+10=10*10 logic came from but the simple fact is that doubling the number of conductors does double the
ampacity.  We can consider whether this is a *good* practice or not but it is *common* practice.

> There are a lot of things involved in
> a equivalent wire gauge...

Actually, AWG is a measure of the cross-sectional area of the wire, nothing more.  Two identical conductors can carry twice as much
current as one -- plain and simple.

> The resistance is a significant factor.
> It is related to the area of the wire,
> not the diameter.

Area of a wire is a function (pi R^^2) of diameter.  However, the ampacity is more closely related to diameter than area.  On long
runs wire resistance will be an issue.  In most home automation apps, it will not matter.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics