Re: Remote light switch - halogen

On 3 Jan 2007 00:49:07 -0800, matthew.larkin@xxxxxxxxx wrote (with
possible editing):

>On Jan 2, 8:03 pm, Mike Barnes <mikebar...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In comp.home.automation,  wrote:
>
>> A receiver would need a neutral connection. There probably isn't one at
>> your old switch position.
>>
>> >I've run up against a couple of problems:-
>> >1 - I can't find such a product!See explanation, above.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Barnes
>
>Cheers Mike - but is my concept of a battery operated receiver really
>that stupid?  Is it that the power required to switch a relay for a
>240v supply is so great that a battery couldn't operate it?
>
>Also, isn't the neutral thing a bit of a red herring - for a normal
>incandescent light bulb, don't X10 receivers (and similar devices)
>simply draw a small amount of power through the circuit, causing the
>bulb to light (but not noticably) and its this power that powers the
>receiver.  As I said, I'll happily get a new light fitting if that is
>the only option, but I'd like to explore other possibilities first.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Matt

First of all, lack of a neutral indicates the receiver is at the old
switch position, but you could certainly locate it at the fixture
where there HAS to be the other side - a neutral (or a second leg).

I'm not overseas and so not aware of what is available for 240v 50 hz
but I'd guess what you are looking for is available.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com