Remote light switch - halogen

Hi

 I live in a late Victorian house with some oddly placed light
switches.  I'd like to "move" a light switch without having to chase
cable from the (newly decorated!) room so that I can resite the switch
on the opposite side of the room.

I'm imagining a product which has an RF receiver in place of the old
switch and then a battery operated new switch which I can just attach
on the wall where I want the new switch.

I've run up against a couple of problems:-
1 - I can't find such a product!
2 - I have a halogen light fitting with a 12v transformer as the
lighting in the room.

Changing the light fitting for a "normal" on is certainly an option, so
I'm left with problem 1.  Even an IR unit would be OK-ish if I could
find one that had a stick on switch instead of a remote-control sytle
switch.

X10 looks fun (ish!) if someone could point me in the right direction
to start with.  I've seen a switch (AW10U) which seems part of the
answer, so if someone could let me know what I would need to pair this
with to create a working scenario I'd be grateful.

I've googled for many an hour without coming up with the right answer!

btw, I'm in the UK if that helps.

TIA!

Matt