Re: XTB II Review

"Charles Sullivan" <cwsulliv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:459ab1d5$0$5211$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:58:46 +0000, Jeff Volp wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who has supported me in this XTB project.
> > While the XTB-II is probably as far as I can go down this road,
> > I hope to offer additional devices in the future to address specific
> > issues.
>
> What could be a more basic specific issue for X10 transmission
> than phase!
>
> How about a phase detector: A plug-in transmitter module sends a
> short burst of RF on the positive AC half-cycle.  A plug-in receiver
> module displays a green or red LED depending on whether the RF
> is received on its positive or negative AC half cycle.
>
> These modules could be combined with an X10 test signal transmitter
> and X10 signal strength meters.

Sounds like a useful widget, but there may not be enough of a market to
pursue.  People have become used to buying devices made in large volume in
China.  Printed circuit boards can cost me $10 or more in small quantities.
The first XTB boards were $25 each delivered.  Just components for this in
small quantity would be over $50.  I don't think many would invest that much
for a troubleshooting gadget.

It is easy enough to identify phases just by flipping breakers and checking
outlets with a small plug-in lamp.  Standard panels alternate phases on
adjacent breakers so a 240V breaker plugged in anywhere will straddle both
phases.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jeff