Re: Power monitoring device

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:20:56 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in
message  <45d744f0.69684750@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"intergate news groups" <djraher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I just found two power monitoring devices, one for the main power meter and
>>one portable, that look really good. The one for the main power meter
clamps
>>the detector/transmitter to the glass cover of the meter and sends the
>>information to the display inside the house. The portable unit has peak
>>reading feature that others have mentioned as being useful. It also has a
>>function to log the amount of time a device draws more then a set amount of
>>power. You could track the time a refrigerator compressor is running for an
>>example. Now if the main power meter transmission could be captured for the
>>HA system all sorts of things are possible.  Take a look at:
>>
>>www.powercostmonitor.com
>>
>>Dennis
>
>You'll catch less flak from self-appointed moderators if you search the
>group before posting with wide-eyed exuberance.
>
>Watts Up has been around for 3-4 years. It and other power meters have been
>discussed here. IMO, it's a bit pricey - you're paying $100 for the RS232
>(now USB) interface as compared to the Kill A Watt (previously mentioned in
>the reefer madness thread) which can measure the same things (with better
>accuracy unless the new USB model of Watts Up has improved on accuracy).

ROTFL.  The Watts Up was first mention in this newsgroup in 1998! So was it
Dave Houston "posting with wide-eyed exuberance" "3-4 years ago" and  ~five
years after it was first discussed here ? ;-)  The Watts Up was initially
tested marketed in 1992 and was available on-line at retail by at least 1998.
Dennis, you might also check out the web site of long-time
comp.home.participant who has implemented some interesting and useful DIY
power monitoring See Ed Cheung's site at:
http://www.edcheung.com/automa/power.htm  Requires soldering skills, but
might provide some ideas.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult