Re: Refrigerator monitor ideas?

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:02:03 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<J4mdncyQycIHf1rYnZ2dnUVZ_oqmnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> >My wattmeter tells me it draws 112 watts when running.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see what your Kill A Watt meter shows for 24
>> hours in kWh mode. You could then calculate annual kWh and compare it to
>> the hypothetical figures bandied about by bureaucrats and ivory tower
>>academics.
>
>I missed the moment to get an accurate 24 hour assessment but that's OK.  I
>want to run the test again under more normal circumstances.  There's been a
>lot more door opening than usual and I've been running a space heater down
>there because it's so cold outside (16F).  Even so, Bill K. may be right.
>This box *sucks* up the juice!

Bobby,

So what do you report to us as the average consumption?

(The closest thing I found in this thread to "hypothetical figures bandied
about" was your estimate of 112 watts x 1/10th duty cycle =~ 12 watts
average. Were you off by 20-fold ? 0r ?

The study I cited http://www.kouba-cavallo.com/art/eval2001.pdf
that Dave was apparently using to disparage folks that actually measure
things and understand what they measure ("bureaucrats and ivory tower
academics")  was a study of actual measurements of actual older refrigerators
in actual use in the service area of the metro Cincinnati utility that
provided electricity for the fridge in Dave's house.

I found the title of the study à propos from several perspectives:
"Low-Income Refrigerator Replacement -- Selecting the Worst of the Worst" . )

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org