Re: Starting Computer through X10

komobu wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am new to X10 and I have a related question that I was hoping you
> would help me out with. Is there an easy way I could start up my
> computer by remote? I was thinking about installing an X10 outlet and
> plugging the computer into it. But I am not sure what I would have to
> do for the computer's power button. usually if you hold the computer
> power button in, it will restart  the computer so that leaves jumping
> the switch out. Do you know of anyway I could accomplish this? It
> would be great to enter the house, have a switch on the wall, click
> it, and have my computer start up while I change clothes or whatever.
>
> Thanks for any help or ideas.
>
> Pat

The "soft on" power button on your computer is routed to two pins on the
motherboard.  You could parallel a momentary "on" switch with that (it's
very easy to identify).  I wouldn't, however, suggest using X-10 because
the last thing you want is the computer to "soft off" in the middle of
writing a long report which could occur if X-10 experiences a sudden
"hick-up".  :-)