Re: Controllable Digital Picture Frames

In comp.home.automation, Warren Block wrote:
>Mike Barnes <mikebarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In comp.home.automation, Warren Block wrote:
>>>Digital picture frames could be very useful as annunciators if a host
>>>computer could at least tell them "switch to picture x now".  Even
>>>better would be the ability to download a new image and display it
>>>immediately.  Think of it as a slow frame buffer.
>>>
>>>There are now 15" versions, and even those little keychain 1" displays
>>>might be useful.
>>>
>>>Web searching shows that the documents on most frames are unhelpful or
>>>nonexistent.
>>>
>>>A cheap notebook computer could be made to do this.  The digital picture
>>>frame advantage would mostly be form factor.  Power consumption and
>>>price are lower than a notebook for the smaller versions.
>>>
>>>Are there any digital picture frames that can be controlled by a host
>>>computer via USB or Ethernet?
>>
>> I'm not sure what kind of "host computer" you're talking about, but if
>> it's a PC, wouldn't a second (third, etc) monitor do the job? If not,
>> why not?
>
>Yes, general PC.  Additional video cards can be used, except it somewhat
>limits where the extra display can be located.  There are slot and OS
>limits on additional video cards, and you need another VGA cable for
>each monitor.

I deal with this using CAT5 VGA extenders.

>USB gives fair distance, particularly with repeaters or powered hubs.
>Ethernet is even better.

I've seen (but not examined in detail) USB devices that claim to give
you one or more extra monitors, and hopefully they have VGA rather than
digital outputs. I'd put one or more local to the PC and use CAT5 VGA
extenders to get the signal where it's needed.

>[...]
>What really started me thinking about this was searching for a small
>text LCD and seeing the prices on them.  A 16-character, two-line serial
>display can be $80.  A 7" DPF can display color bitmaps for less and
>wouldn't need a serial port.

The 8" VGA monitors I used cost rather about twice that, and give an
800x600 display and the flexibility for me to put what I want on it.

   http://www.thedowerhouse.com/jukebox/ourmonitors.html

>The hardware in mass-market DPFs certainly could do it; it's just a
>matter of firmware.  (Sounds like "Solving the problem is left as an
>exercise for the student.")

Agreed. Frustrating.

--
Mike Barnes