Re: Controllable Digital Picture Frames

In comp.home.automation, Warren Block wrote:
>Digital picture frames could be very useful as annunciators if a host
>computer could at least tell them "switch to picture x now".  Even
>better would be the ability to download a new image and display it
>immediately.  Think of it as a slow frame buffer.
>
>There are now 15" versions, and even those little keychain 1" displays
>might be useful.
>
>Web searching shows that the documents on most frames are unhelpful or
>nonexistent.
>
>A cheap notebook computer could be made to do this.  The digital picture
>frame advantage would mostly be form factor.  Power consumption and
>price are lower than a notebook for the smaller versions.
>
>Are there any digital picture frames that can be controlled by a host
>computer via USB or Ethernet?

I'm not sure what kind of "host computer" you're talking about, but if
it's a PC, wouldn't a second (third, etc) monitor do the job? If not,
why not?

I currently use eight-inch LCDs connected to my server PC as VGA
monitors. But I'd be interested in using picture frames instead, as they
look neater, and might be cheaper. But, as you say, they don't seem to
provide active inputs, and the documentation is poor.

--
Mike Barnes