Re: d-day

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:59:01 -0500, Charles Sullivan
<cwsulliv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<pan.2007.12.22.03.58.56.878245@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>If candelabra-base and low voltage landscape lighting bulbs are
>included in the ban, it'll probably cost $5K to $8K to replace
>fixtures in the house I'm occupying.

Reasonable folks will take a deep breath and discount the FUD that Dave
spreads.

The New York Times article on the front page of today's print business
section states:

	"Congress has not specifically outlawed incandescent bulbs, only
	inefficient ones".

And the NY Times article notes that more efficient incandescents are on the
way. Dave doesn't like the facts, or credible sources that present them, so
he distorts both.

The US 'banned' inefficient industrial fluorescent fixtures years ago with
little brou-ha-ha from the purveyors of misinformation. The move toward
forcing inefficient incandescents off the market where there are better
substitutes is a continuation of this necessary US and global public policy
towards more efficient use of energy. It is not an end-all energy panacea
and Dave's repeated attempts to create a straw-man argument around his
specious notion that it is presented as such is, IMO, unhelpful distortion.

Note that remarkably useful/advanced CFLs including for candelabra base are
_already_ available.

I previously posted measured and qualitative information on the n:vision
CFLs available at Home Depot (the second-largest general retailer in the
United States and the 17th largest corporation in the US).

The Home Depot n:vision CFL line _already_ includes a lamp that:

	- has candelabra base
	- is 'flame'-shape
	- is dimmable
	- outdoor rated
	- has a pleasing incandescent-like, warm color

I have installed these candelabra-base CFLs  both in the 4-lamp outdoor
fixture over our front door,  and in a 4-lamp, 130-year-old combined gas
and electric lamp fixture in our dining room. IME, they work great in these
two very different environments and applications.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org