Re: d-day

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:16:38 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <476cfc1d.339835187@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Another factor is "power factor". I may have missed it but don't recall
>seeing anything that mandates a minimum PF for CFLs. If uncorrected, most
>have PF around 60% which means the utility has to supply 1.67x as much
>current as is actually used by the light. This means the green benefits
>are less than face value. The higher currents (and infrastructure) do
>constitute a real cost to the utility. So while a CFL will use less
>current, it's not as much of a reduction as is usually claimed.

More FUD.  Dave makes up the 60% figure based on the very oldest and very
worst specifications he can Google up.  This is like projecting the
capabilities of current and future personal computers based on the
characteristics of a 1983 IBM-PC.

As I pointed out nine months ago in this newsgroup in

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/
e884c965201a543/52615a29efcdcc27?lnk=st&q=comp.home.automation+Marc_F_Hult+
cfl+powe+factor#52615a29efcdcc27

when Dave posted similar misinformation about the power factor of CFL's,
the n:Vision CFL I reviewed has a _measured_ power factor of 0.94 to 0.97
-- not 0.60 as Dave now claims.

This is not an exotic or unusual CFL. I bought this inexpensive n:vision
CFL at the Home Depot that is a mile from Dave's apartment and measured its
power factor using a Kill-A-Watt meter of the same model that Dave has
written that he also owns and subsequently recommended for this purpose in
this newsgroup.

And as I previously pointed out in

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/
e884c965201a543/52615a29efcdcc27?lnk=st&q=comp.home.automation++Products+
(TCP)+SpringLamp+I+introduced++earlier+the++#52615a29efcdcc27

	"There are of course, higher priced CFLs with even better
	 specifications and performance -- They just haven't reached
	the price point of the n:vision  CFLs.  .. For example, of the
	20 watt (75-watt equivalent)  2700K Technical Consumer  Products
	(TCP) SpringLamp I introduced  earlier the  N:Vision CFL's
  	discussion has a rated  power factor of " >.90 "

And the very technical paper that Dave Houston introduces to use as the
springboard for his misinformation in the thread cited above

  http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/4042.pdf

demonstrates that technical solutions to the erstwhile 'problem' of power
factor are well known, public ally available, and have in fact been
implemented my several manufacturers -- including a model whose actual
performance Dave could trivially verify if he actually wanted to be
constructive and accurate.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org