Re: Door hardware with electric strike

"Lewis Gardner" wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
>
>> If you want an automated solution that is truly difficult to
>> compromise, deploy a system which requires "something you have
>> plus something you know".  For example, you could install a lock
>> which requires both a code and a finger print.
>
> Not to be picky but...

FTR, I don't copnsider added information "picky" -- it makes the
thread more useful.

> There are three levels of authentication. Each is considered more
> secure than the preceding.
>
> 1. Something you know. Passwords are easily shared and once more
> than one person know them it is difficult to have any confidence in
> authentication when presented.

1. Agreed.

> 2 Something you have. Keys, cards and other physical objects can be
> copied but sharing is more difficult than a password. A physical
> object can become a 1 if it is not kept secure, like leaving a key
> under the door mat.

2. cf #1

> 3 Something you are. Biometric authentication like fingerprint,
> hand and retina scanners are considered the most secure since the
> item presented for authentication cannot be copied or borrowed.

3.  If the system is efficient at excluding unauthorized personnel
AND permitting authorized personnel to enter, "something you are" can
be a very secure requirement.  The problem for most folks reading CHA
is that very effective biometric solutions tend to be very expensive.
Mid to low priced solutions are generally more prone to errors, so
they should be combined with something you know, such as...

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics