Re: Computer control of an audio multiplexor

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:14:43 -0600, Joe User <axyz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <jagb25-gkj.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I am trying to multiplex a number of radios into the 'Line In' on my
>computer sound card.
>
>I want to send commands from the PC, through the RS232 serial port, or
>the USB.
>
>I want the radio signals to be switched according to the commands from my
>PC.
>
>I need the switching to be 6 stereo signals to 1 stereo signal.
>
>Has anyone done this?  What is the cheapest, easiest and most flexible
>way to do this?

The "cheapest" is not likely to be the "most flexible".  Nor is the
"easiest" ?  Which of these superlatives is most important to you ?

I agree with Bill Kearney that trying to install various old PC sound cards
that one might have lying around is asking to waste time ( = not
"simplest"). Many folks have pulled out hair just trying to convince a
second card to work.

One approach that has not yet been mentioned ( = simple, if not simplest; =
probably "most flexible") is to buy a 8-in sound card. There are legacy
models that can be had used for less than $100.  What OS do you need to
support? I have a Layla Echo rack-mounted  8x8 for sale at
www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org