Re: Computer control of an audio multiplexor

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:01:47 -0500, Petem wrote:

> "Joe User" <axyz@xxxxxxxxx> a crit dans le message de news:
> jagb25-gkj.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> I am trying to multiplex a number of radios into the 'Line In' on my
>> computer sound card.
>>
>> I want to send commands from the PC, through the RS232 serial port, or
>> the USB.
>>
>> I want the radio signals to be switched according to the commands from
>> my PC.
>>
>> I need the switching to be 6 stereo signals to 1 stereo signal.
>>
>> Has anyone done this?  What is the cheapest, easiest and most flexible
>> way to do this?
>>
>> I've never used X10 stuff, and would like to avoid it, if I could
>> easily do this with a simple USB device.
>>

> the use of a parallel port would be a lot better then a serial port..
>
> just by sending a special character to the parallel port would trig one
> of the 8 bit of the port,this would in turn control some small relay
> that could switch an audio selector, noting too complicated to do...
>
> the worst part would be to make the program that would send the good
> character to the printer port..(for me)

I have seen kits to do this, and they are a reasonable approach.  The
drawbacks are that I lose the use of the parallel port, and usually I
would have to do some soldering and layout.  I would rather just buy
something, patch in the lines, write some scripts, and use it.

I may wind up using a parallel port decoder, or maybe two or three sound
cards.

Thanks to everyone who commented.