Re: Computer control of an audio multiplexor

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:14:43 -0600, Joe User <axyz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <jagb25-gkj.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I am trying to multiplex a number of radios into the 'Line In' on my
>computer sound card.
>
>I want to send commands from the PC, through the RS232 serial port, or
>the USB.
>
>I want the radio signals to be switched according to the commands from my
>PC.
>
>I need the switching to be 6 stereo signals to 1 stereo signal.

>Has anyone done this?  What is the cheapest, easiest and most flexible
>way to do this?

Yes, many folks have done.

What exactly is meant by "switched according to the commands from my pc" ?

Are these commands be sent manually from the command-line ( aka "DOS")
interface?

Or do they need to be integrated into existing or planned Home Automation
(HA) software? Do you also need that software?  Or are you going to write
it?

If you use HomeSeer, or most any other mature HA software, there are
typically numerous solutions including user-contributed scripts to do
similar things.

But if you first select the hardware you may find that you can't use it for
lack of appropriate software. If you first select the software, and explore
what hardware it works with, you will almost certainly find several
different hardware components/solutions to complete the project.

I have a write up about the many uses of audio in HA  here:
www.econtrol.org\audio.htm

Typical uses of audio in "home automation" include:

 Voice control of home automation system
 Intercom
 Background music
 Paging
 Intruder alerts
 Door answering  real time actual, and recorded including by fido ("Rex")
 Telephone
 Occupancy and device monitoring (washing machine, external sounds etc).
 Home Theatre

As Bill Kearney points out, I have some Ivie audio auto-matrix mixers with
preamps for sale that are suitable for all the uses listed here.

www.econtrol.org\porch_sale.htm

Simple command-line ASCII instructions and a Windows program are available
free from www.Ivie.com  to control them.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org