Re: About to build house, advice needed.

"John" <warner.dad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I'm about to build a house and want to wire it up to "the nine's"
> I'm looking at whole house audio, distributed ir and video, alarm
> system, outdoor audio, x10 or insteon, and anything else you guys can
> think of.

I'd make sure you ran CAT-6 to every spot that you possibly, remotely
thought you'd ever have a need to relay some sort of information.  Whether
it's an instruction, a voice, a picture, a video signal, a low voltage
electrical signal, an Ethernet signal and just about anything else that
travels through wires, you can likely run it through CAT6 with some sort of
adapter.  It's probably going to a universal standard for quite some time.

Run RG6QS for TV to the places that you never want to have to dig out and
repair ever and as a backbone because in my (not universally agreed upon)
opinion, the extra shielding provides some degree of protection from cable
nicks and other mishaps.  Run RG-59 and CAT6 to places where you might want
to mount a video camera (attic, garage, bird feeder, etc).  There are
adapters that can run video, audio and 12VDC to power the cameras through a
single coax cable.  If you use those you won't have to run separate power
cables and audio cables if you want sound as well.

Run conduit between floors and anywhere you think that adding cable is going
to be very difficult in the future.  An important consideration is the
dollar per foot it costs to install cable in an open-walled, unfinished
house as opposed to one that's finished and occupied.  I'm sure that
someone's worked those numbers.  Off the cuff, I'd guess that it's a
ten-to-one difference, especially if you're willing to convert SAF to $.
The costs get even higher if some carpenter leaves a broken hammer head
inside the wall cavity you're trying to drill through.  (-:

--
Bobby G.