Re: CM11A lockup (broadcast storm)

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:SPWdnQMynPadzVbbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> The XTB-IIR will shut off its transmitter in response to a 'broadcast
>> storm".  Two thresholds are available.  One allows a burst of about 80
>> commands in a minute, or a continuous average of 15 per minute.  A higher
>> threshold allows a burst of about 160, or an average of 30 per minute.
>> In
>> either case the XTB-IIR transmitter will re-enable itself after 10
>> seconds
>> of clear line.
>
> Nearly missed this in the "broadcast storm" of MI5 bushwa!
>
> Your parameters sound quite reasonable.  What does the process for
> updating
> the firmware entail?  (I'm assuming that my unit's firmware *can* be
> updated!)

I run into the storm limit often during testing, so I may double the numbers
to 30 & 60 per minute average.

This feature will be in the XTB-IIR.  I can probably add it to the XTB-II
firmware when I get the time.  A firmware update will require changing the
plug-in PIC.

The XTB-II was really designed as a 2-phase high-power line interface for
high end controllers.  The repeater capability was added as a zero cost
afterthought.  The XTB-IIR is intended primarially as a high-power repeater,
but it can also boost X10 signals and provide the line interface for a
high-end controller.

>> The LED flashes continuously in response to a storm.  I had planned to
> > issue a STATUS OFF out the digital port when a storm occurred, but it
> > may be more useful to return the actual traffic on the powerline.
> > Thoughts?
>
> Whatever it takes to immediately ring a bell or sound a buzzer without the
> X-10 storm blocking the alerting signal!  If you're thinking Ocelot, then
> whatever would end up reacting to the simplest of CMAX programs.  Sounds
> like the Status Off flag would be simpler than parsing the actual traffic.

Guess it depends on whether you want to sound an alarm when it happens, or
to have some helpful info available to find what is going on.  I don't think
most people have a Monterey available for troubleshooting, so the digital
data would be helpful.

Jeff

(earlier stuff snipped)