Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

In article <lnoh-17BD1C.21070029042007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lnoh@xxxxxxxxxxxx (lnh) writes:
| In article <1338677@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
|  ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:
|
| > In article <E9ydnWRPweMgFqnbnZ2dnUVZ_rWnnZ2d@xxxxxxx>,
| > ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx (Robert Green) writes:
| >

| > | Dan points out that might not be the case as he's seen wall switches suffer
| > | from interference that did not register on the ESM1 so without a scope or
| > | analyzer, it's very hard to say for sure.
| >

| > And in fact it was pretty hard to see even on a scope.  Those switches
| > seem to be among the most sensitive X10 receivers.
|
| So what is the best way to see the noise on a scope?
|
| Hook the scope to an X10 bridge to filter the 60Hz and make the X10
| signal and noise easier to see?

You could do that, but if the bridge (coupler) is too good (too selective)
you might not see the noise.  You could also use a commercial product, e.g.,
ACT's Scope-Test[2].  I use a series 0.1uF capacitor and 0.25A fuse to hot
with a 100 ohm resistor across the scope's input.  I believe this is mostly
similar to some of the commercial products; the fuse gives me a little extra
feeling of safety...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com