Re: Chattering Super Sockets

ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx (Robert Green) writes:

> | Bought a few used and new SR227 X-10 wall outlet modules.  Tested them
> | separately before installing by hookup to a line cord.  All was well.
Wired
> | them into a duplex outlet box at the end of a run, pigtailed together
and
> | they (I think it's only one, actually) started chattering.
> |
> | I've read X-10 appliance/wall socket module chattering is almost always
> | considered a mechanical issue, but why would they test cleanly one by
one
> | and then chatter when in place?
>
> With some of the relay wall switches (which use a very similar cam
mechanism)
> I've found that the stress of mounting (or even just pulling on the wires
> as you arrange them in a box) can change the operation from marginally
fine
> to chattering.  Mounting them too tightly is usually a mistake; it can
> distort the frame just enough...

Crimminy.  That's not what I call confidence inspiring!  This unit's case is
cracked in two places so I think you and Dave are correct.  It's a stress
problem.  I chose a very deep box just to have room for the wire nuts and
stuff but it's still a tight fit since those "stupor" sockets are fairly
large.  X-10 is still full of surprises.  This unit's gotten me twice - it
chattered when I didn't expect it and didn't chatter when I did!  Still, I
paid less than $3 for it so it's not going to break my heart.  Thanks for
the input.

--
Bobby G.