Chattering Super Sockets

Bought a few used and new SR227 X-10 wall outlet modules.  Tested them
separately before installing by hookup to a line cord.  All was well.  Wired
them into a duplex outlet box at the end of a run, pigtailed together and
they (I think it's only one, actually) started chattering.

I've read X-10 appliance/wall socket module chattering is almost always
considered a mechanical issue, but why would they test cleanly one by one
and then chatter when in place?  This is without a load plugged in.  I
tested with a floor lamp, although perhaps not without a load in place.

One other difference is that they are installed face down in the basement
ceiling but I can't see orientation having much to do with it.  They are
also set to the same housecode, but that shouldn't matter much.  Happens
with both an XTB boosted and unboosted mini-controller.  Hit ON and you get
four rapid clicks from the wallbox.

Any thoughts?  I am going to have to unwire them (what a BITCH!!!!!) unless
putting a load on the units or some other easier fix makes the chatter
vanish on its on.

--
Bobby G.