Re: SignaLinc Repeater 3-Wire Dryer - No Dim with Active Home Programs

In article <TKKdnXYmB4BYYLrbnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, please_reply@xxxxxxxxxx (Mark) writes:

| "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
| > In article <Z46dnSWpBdw44bjbnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
| > please_reply@xxxxxxxxxx (Mark) writes:
| >
| > | I recently added a SignaLinc Repeater 3-Wire Dryer which has
| > greatly
| > | improved X10 reliability in my home. But, none of the dims that I
| > have
| > | programmed in Active Home Pro ever activate. For example, a simple
| > C1
| > | dim to 50% (or any other %) just turns the lamp on.  Before adding
| > the
| > | bridge/repeater the dims would perform properly.  Note that I also
| > | tried setting the AH to repeat the command, no help.
| >
| > (previously you wrote:)
| >
| > |After 15yrs of X10 signal problems, and adding numerous different
| > |boosters, couplers and repeaters (none of which helped), my
| > problems
| > |have been solved with a SignaLinc Repeater 3-Wire Dryer
| > |amplifier/coupler/repeater http://www.smarthome.com/4826b.html ...
| > |FINALLY! :D
| >
| > Well, that was a short honeymoon. :)
| >
| > Which repeaters had you tried before the SignalLinc?  In particular,
| > did you try any of ACT's offerings?
|
| Hi Dan, I have been working too much (60-80hr weeks, ugh) to respond
| to your other question, I wasn't intentionally ignoring you (well,
| actually I was :) ... anyway, no I don't think I tried any ACT
| products.  I must say though that even though the dims are not coming
| through when sent with AH via my PC otherwise having high reliability
| of at least on/off is tremendous.  Note that I can dim using any of
| the remotes, it's just AH that won't dim, very odd, but I'm no X10
| guru (but definitely a veteran, one of my 1st X10 systems was based
| around an X10 board (with ultrasonic sender, i think) in an Apple II
| circa 1980, ha).

The *Linc products have a history of (shall we say) disagreements with
Active Home over the correct interpretation of the X10 protocol.  I see
no reason that this has not extended to Active Home Pro.  Unfortunately,
while the last area of disagreement was fairly easy to understand I don't
see off hand how they could argue about DIM/BRI sequences since pretty much
everybody agrees that they are sent back-to-back.  On the other hand, they
are really creative with their screw-ups...

As always, I would recommend trying an ACT repeater.  They seem to have
the functionality down, though there are (were?) some construction issues.
If you like you can try my spare/repaired CR230.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com