Re: monitor video from 2 miles away

To send video from multiple cameras 2 miles I suggest
you'll need a bit more punch than you'll obtain from a
modified WiFi dongle.  Also, if this is for use in the US
you'll want to check FCC regulations for the device you
want to modify.  There are regulated limitations on most
such devices.

There are professional systems that can do the job but
there are a few limitations.  One method is to use IP
cameras and a fast Ethernet switch at the lighthouse.
The signal from the switch would then be transmitted
wireless Ethernet.  Microtek makes a system that is
good for up to 8 miles line of sight.  It's called an
MLWES-12 kit.  Here's a PDF doc which discusses it:
http://www.microtekelectronics.com/2506005/main/Content/ImageLib/documents/manuals/ml_wes_manual_031506.pdf

Note that you'll need about 35 feet of clearance above
the tree line to send the signal two miles.  It isn't just
LOS.  If you tried to transmit that distance with say 10
feet of clearance above the tree tops the signal would be
weak or non-existent at the receiving end.  If the light
house is tall enough and if there's a tall antenna tower at
the ranger station this will work.

There are other brands of long range, wireless Ethernet
but I sell Microtek so I'm a little biased in their favor.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics