Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> One generation of the WS467 (maybe even the current one) uses an
> actual switch component on the PC board rather than the tacky
> contacts.  Unfortunately, while the switch does have some tactile
> response, it seems to be a very low-quality part that fails nearly
> as fast as the previous generation for contact strips.  (Some day
> I want to find out why the even older generation of contact strips
> worked so much better.  I still have switches from the 80's that
> are fine.)  Anyway, since X10 has done most of the mechanical work
> it might be possible to find a better switch that is a drop-in
> replacement.

I tried the N:Vision bulbs in some indoor locations where we still have
paddle style WS467's.  Both the 23W and the 19W caused the switch itself to
hum rather loudly, just like the front porch switch does.  As I dimmed the
bulbs via UR24A remote, the buzzing sound at the switch changed markedly.  I
stopped testing at that point because I didn't want to damage the switch in
any way.  It's in a problem box with short pigtails.

On the positive side, the 23W floodlight bulb which HAD been turning itself
off within seconds of being turned off no longer exhibits that behavior in a
new lamp fixture.  I am not exactly sure *why* that's happening, but I'll
try to figure it out.

Using incandescents in the few rooms that have overhead fixtures isn't a big
problem.  Those lamps flash when there's an alarm so it's probably best that
they are tungsten.  They aren't used for general illumination much, so it's
not a big deal.

When I find time, I am going to take some screw sockets and new wall
switches and test them on a bench so as not to destroy or damage any in-wall
switches.  The one I tried most recently really made some unusual buzzing
noises during the dimming process.

--
Bobby G.