Control my PC with a remote control via a USB IR ?

Hello,

I am trying to control my ACER laptop with a remote control.
http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/ seemed to do the trick just fine, you
can even program it to "convert" your remote control signal to whatever
you want the PC to do (pause button of the remote = hit space bar, for
example) but somehow it only seems to work with Infra-Red receivers
plugged into the serial port.

Sadly my laptop does not have a serial port, I only have an IR USB
Receiver which seems to work fine, except
http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/  does not recognize it.

Do you know of software that would do what
http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/ does, but with an IR USB receiver ? Or
do you have another suggestion ?

Thanks
Antoine