Re: sensor controller

On 10 Oct 2006 08:39:38 -0700, "Nadavc1" <nadavc1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<1160494777.962316.23610@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Hi Marc,
>
>Thanks for the response,
>
>I am talking about heat sensors, move sensors, change in current
>sensors.

Where will the sensors be located? And how -- details matter here  -- will
you connect them to the PC/controller ?

>I have read that all the common sensors are x10 which is wireless.

No the vast majority of X-10 devices are _output_ devices such as light
dimmers, and not "sensors".

>can create wireless sensors with a transmitter and a receiver what is
>so special with x10?

See my suggestion above. X-10 is widely use because it solves one of the most
difficult problems for many folks, namely how to control dimming of lights
remotely. T don't know where you live (despite having asked  )  _- Israel? --
so there is not much more I can usefully say on the topic. Partly because of
building codes and other regulations, what you can/should do depends on what
country you live in.  Please make an attempt to answer the questions asked so
we don't waste effort.

>There is a kit to build from www.vellemanusa.com the kit is K8055 it
>has analog and digital inputs and outputs. I would like to know what
>you think about this controller and which one you would recommend.

K8055 is not a controller. It doesn't control anything because it doesn't
implement any logic. It provides cost-effective low-resolution analog digital
input/output to a PC through USB.

>I am a computer programmer so what I need is a controller that can give
>me all the inputs and outputs I need from and to the sensors.
>I don't need it to control the sensors that I can program on the
>computer.

There are many, many way to do this. For just one possible path, search
"National Instruments" on eBay. If you will doing the logic/programming in
the PC, then the PC will need to be on 24x7, right? If so, there is no needed
for the I/O to be a free-standing device, right? and PCI or PC-AT add-in
cards would work, right? What is your budget?

>For it to give me all the inputs I need, when I receive an input form a
>heat sensor, I understand that I will receive it analog as a voltage. I
>need a controller that I can program easily to convert the voltage in
>to a number for me use in visual studio.

???? No. You can convert the voltage to a temperature in C, VB whatever in
VS.

Check out National Instruments Measurement Studio for Visual Studio. What is
your budget ? What are your goals? Is this a hobby or investment? And so on
.. Please refer to the questions I asked previously.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org