Re: Auto locking door lock with remote

ambo22 wrote:
> I agree it would be technically possible to train a big antenna on
> someone unlocking their door and read off the 40 bit code, or, slightly
> harder, to energise someone's key and read its response while its in
> their pocket.  The question is, who would?  No random burglar is going
> to do that, burglaries are mostly opportunistic.  A black-hat
> RFID-trawler with a powerful antenna might scan crowds, but its
> exceedingly unlikely they'd know what they'd got, let alone be able to
> ID the holder of the keyfob and follow them home.  Only someone quite
> technically competent and very determined to get into this particular
> house would be able to mount this attack successfully, and even then
> its likely that there are easier attack routes available, such as
> breaking through a window...

Agreed, so far.

> This isn't a highly secure system, from
> what we've heard, but its probably as good as most physically-keyed
> locks...

Here we disagree.  All of the inexpensive "automated" locks I've seen
so far have actually been of significantly inferior build compared to
"ordinary" locks.  Even cheap Kwikset locks are often sturdier than
these have been.  The problem is it costs more to build a sturdy lock
and most of the investment in these things, at least the ones targeting
the residential DIY market, is in the electronics.

Even the electronic aspect of these locks often leaves a lot to be
desired.  Unfortunately, most of them can so easily be overcome that
it's not worth the effort to mount a sophisticated attack.

> iButton is more secure than traditional keys but doesn't offer
> many benefits in terms of convenience.  I would suggest some kind of
> active RFID solution with rolling codes or challenge-response might
> solve the evesdropping problem, and give the user a longer range to
> boot.  I'll look forward to seeing that.

Agreed.  There are a number of well-built electronic locks on the
market.  The problem is most of them are priced out of the residential
DIY market.  While we occasionally get DIY orders for high end security
equipment (one recent order included several Extreme CCTV cameras,
covert IR illumintors, etc.) most people concentrate on electronic
security and automation.  Only a few take the sage advice of my friend,
Bob Campbell, to make their homes physically secure as well as
electronically protected.

BTW, Bob Campbell's website has some interesting information about
physical and electronic security, as well as the foibles of the burglar
alarm industry where he and I have made our living for many years.
It's definitely worth a read at www.homemetal.com.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Bass Home Electronics