Re: X10 replacement?

Hello Bill,

> Nobody pays retail.  I switched to Radio RA two years ago and it's be
> WONDERFUL.  Lights that work every time!  Woo hoo!  I've still got some X-10
> infrared sensors and their receivers but nothing else X-10.
>

>>* RELIABLE of course, itherwise I'd just stick with X10! Everyone
>>claims to be reliable but only a good track record counts as proof. Hot
>>new products come and go every day!
>

> X-10's just the shit that stuck and couldn't be peeled off the wall.  It's
> not "better" it's more that the home automation market really doesn't exist
> in any decent quantities to make it worthwhile to do it "better".  Sad but
> true.
>
> As always, the rule of three applies: good, fast, cheap... pick two.  Radio
> RA's been good and fast but certainly wasn't cheap.  Cripes, X-10's no good,
> not fast and only has CHEAP going for it.

It is the old chicken and egg problem. If the reliability is so poor
that only engineers can make it work then there will never be any market
penetration to speak of. One has to front the cost for a good design to
have a chance of reaching a meaningful market penetration. Not listening
to constructive criticism by users is pretty much a guarantee to never
get there.

Fast isn't necessary with X10. Good and cheap can go together. It's my
daily bread to make products that are cost efficient but squeeze the
last dime out of a design. Mostly disposable medical but the basic
concepts aren't that different.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com