Re: The problems with X10 ...

There are two type of noise effect, the analytical effect of noise that
can be compensated with a strong x10 signal.  And now I know what they
are talking about, the other effect is on the electrical/electronic
design of the switch themselves.  It's like a bad power supply to the
switch.  A power surge spike will make the internal electronics go
crazy.  If this is not that rare, a quality switch should reduce the
problem.  I remembered the brownout stuff, but forget that it's totally
self inflicting.  But that should trigger the manual override to my
timed, dust to dawn, PIR outdoor lantern two.  But I won't be awake to
see it.

So the biggest enemy is signal attenuation by your own appliances, that
x10 didn't mention.