Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:05:12 -0700, sylvan butler
>><ZsdbUse1+noZs_0611@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>>that's pretty much how it would work.  But it is a lot easier with D.C.
>>>You would have to be really motivated to do it with A.C.
>>
>> There you go again ;-)
>>
>> Powering lamps designed for 120VAC with rectified 170 VDC (= 170 VRMS) as
>> you suggest is problematic because if the circuit were to ever stop
>> chopping, the lamp would burn out right quick.
>
>You misunderstand.
>
>120vac sine wave == about +/-170v peak.  I was not suggesting creating a
>filtered 170vdc supply, just rectifying the 120vac sine wave.

Of course you did. sylvan wrote:

	"That gets a bit ugly (and more expensive) if you intend to
	control 120vac.  (Of course, one could rectify the 120vac to
	create ca. 170vdc and use MOSFETs...)

So you did in fact clearly and unambiguously  "suggest[] creating a
filtered 170vdc supply". It was this statement that I responded to. The
record is crystal clear.

Can you peddle forwards as well as backwards?

... Marc
Marc_F_hult
www.ECOntrol.org