Re: Using a higher rated DC transformer

"Connah" <connah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yes, that's accurate to some extent. It really depends on the equipment it
>> is meant to power.
>
>The device is a LinkSys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem.
>
>> Unfortunately, it's the missing wall transformer that you need to examine to
>> determine whether it was regulated or unregulated. The only alternative is
>> to open up the device and trace the power leads to see what regulator it
>> uses.
>
>Actually, I was so desperate to get it working, I bought another
>identicle cable modem and I'm using ITS transformer temporarily until I
>can get one that will work. Then I will return the new one to the
>store. So, I do infact have THE right transformer at this time. What
>markings should I look for?
>
>> How heavy is the new 12VDC/2.5A transformer?
>
>It weighs 5.6 ounces and is 2" x 3.5" x 1.25" in dimension.

My guess (and it is just that - a semi-educated GUESS) is that it's a
switched mode power suppy (SMPS) which are almost all regulated. I've a
15VDC/1.0A regulated SMPS which weighs about 4 oz. while all of my 12V
magnetic transformer style power supplies weigh 12 oz or more. But the
heavier transformer type could still be regulated.

The only way to be certain is to contact Linksys Support and ask them,
telling them you lost the original power supply.

Otherwise, if you have a friend with a voltmeter, you can measure it. Or,
assuming you are going to buy the replacement at RS, ask your friendly RS
rep to measure the one from Linksys. If regulated it will measure 12V while,
if unregulated, it will measure more, up to 17-18V.

One final clue is that California, Europe, East Asia and other regions now
have efficiency standards for wall transformers that can only met by SMPS
types so my guess is that Linksys will be using them - I know that D-Link
(which I use) does so.

http://davehouston.net