Re: Using a higher rated DC transformer

"Connah" <connah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi guys! Thank you very much for your reply! On another newsgroup, a
>gentleman mentioned that if the higher rated wall transformer is
>UNregulated, then it may put out higher voltage but if it IS regulated,
>I should have no problems. So with that in mind, 2 questions.
>
>1) Is this accurate?
>2) The power supply I intend to use reads:
>12VDC 2.5A MAX
>
>Does the word "MAX" there imply that devices drawing a lower current
>can indeed make use of this transformer. Does that word imply it is
>"regulated"?
>
>Again, thank you!

Yes, that's accurate to some extent. It really depends on the equipment it
is meant to power. If the device uses an unregulated 12VDC wall transformer
then it will have an internal regulator. If the internal regulator is rated
for the higher swings (maybe 18V) of the unregulated wall transformer you're
OK.

Unfortunately, it's the missing wall transformer that you need to examine to
determine whether it was regulated or unregulated. The only alternative is
to open up the device and trace the power leads to see what regulator it
uses.

MAX means MAX. IOW, all it means is that it cannot supply more than 2.5A.

How heavy is the new 12VDC/2.5A transformer? If very light it is most likely
a reugulated switched-mode power supply. If relatively heavy, it's probabvly
a magnetic transformer type and may be either regulated or unregulated.
Regulated 12VDC @ 2.5A is somewhat rare but not unheard of.

What is the device? Maybe someone who also has it can tell you whether it
needs 12VDC regulated or unregulated.

http://davehouston.net