Re: Intermatic 5-pc. kit good?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 09:36:07 -0400, anon wrote:

> you guys are the experts... i have no experience with this
> stuff, but i am looking to set up things to turn on & off
> when i'm out of town.
>
> is the Intermatic kit at Costco a good start and price?
> and does this hardware support the later use of software
> that would allow me to control from my pc?
>
> also, what sort of issues are there with this stuff &
> wireless (both 2.4GHz wireless & 5.8GHz phones i have)?
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11090596&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1
>
> thanks

I'm unfamiliar with this Z-wave product, but after reading
the web page I have a few comments:
1. Check the price and availability of additional compatible
modules in case you want to expand beyond the 4 they supply
with the kit.
2. Assuming you're affected by this, verify the Standard/
Daylight Time dates used in the controller take into account
the changes in effect next year in the USA and (parts of ?)
Canada.
3. The picture shows what appears to be a handheld remote
controller as well as the desktop controller, but the handheld
is not in the list of what's included.  If it really is, then
I assume you'll only get 3 modules in this "5 pc kit".

Regards,
Charles Sullivan