Re: 8051-class "learner" board - is it worth making one?

<zwsdotcom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I semi-accidentally acquired a fairly large quantity of surplus
> ROMless 8051-class parts in DIP-40 packages.

I purposely bought 30K of them in PLCC to offer a cheap 8051 board. That
was like 10 years ago. They're mostly still here.

> I figure I could [afford to] sell an assembled board for ~USD35.

We sold/sell them at $39. We've offered specials at $29. They don't move
very well. Probably our best documented boards, with many options for
language.

So my opinion is the only way I'm going to move this inventory of 8051's
is to design some little comsumer product that doesn't require much
smarts, and sell them embedded in it. Even that is iffy, because the
glue logic to go with the IC and larger board to hold it all costs as
much as an ARM now.

--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com