8051-class "learner" board - is it worth making one?

This is a crosspost from comp.arch.embedded, with some enhancement.

The story:
I semi-accidentally acquired a fairly large quantity of surplus ROMless
8051-class parts in DIP-40 packages. These include Intel and Signetics
8031, 8032, and lots of Dallas DS80C310 and DS80C320. Along with them
came a bunch of 6264 and 62256 SRAMs.

Somewhere in my archives I have a layout for a board that takes a
DIP-40 8031 and has 32K of program flash and either 2K, 8K or 32K of
RAM. It also has a level-shifted serial port, and some miscellaneous
headers for GPIOs and such.

In this day and age, is it worth my while to do a production run of
these boards and offer them for sale to get rid of the surplus chips? I
would write a small bootloader and preload that into flash so you
wouldn't need additional hardware to load code onto the board.

I figure I could [afford to] sell an assembled board for ~USD35.

When I posted the above in c.a.e I got some suggestions, including to
ask the question again here.

Is that old design of mine even useful as it is, or would I have to
build something more exotic to make it interesting?