LM14A keeps model trains from derailing:

I saw this note from Gene Charney on the X-10 forums while researching
something else and thought it was interesting enough to repost here:

I recently had a total failure of my model  train power pack which I used to
control 3  HO trains. Ignoring the red label on the  LM14A 2-Way Lamp
Module, I set up one of  these units with a 16 volt 20va transformer
plugged into it, whose screw terminals were  wired to a bridge rectifier and
used it to  power the (3) Bachmann HO trains. It worked  so well I now have
an LM14A assembly for  each train, with switches that enable me to  REMOTELY
control any train from any LM14A. I  obtained the plug-in transformers with
screw  terminals from a local suplus store for  $2.25, and the bridge
rectifier from the  same store for $.95. The "soft-start"  and "soft-stop"
(no derailing) features of  the LM14A and its fine control are great! An
LM465 Lamp Module also works, but the loss  of the "soft" features mentioned
make it  much less desirable. Note to X10---Please  forgive my unauthorized
use of the LM14A!  Yes, I know about the warranty.