Re: Cat Automation (not quite HA)

On Sun, 28 May 2006 08:35:36 -0700, "AZWoody"
<Reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've got a cat that likes to wander. (1-2 block range)
>
>I try to get him inside before dark, but I don't always have any luck in
>finding him.
>
>I was wondering if anyone knew of a small (he's only 10 lbs) transmitter
>that could be attached to his collar which could be used in locating him.
>I'd use something with a directional antenna, to at least determine the
>proper direction to go looking for him.  (HAM bands ok.  Been studying for
>my license for other reasons).
>
>Any other ideas would also be appreciated (keeping him inside is not an
>option)

The most practical thing is don't feed during the day so it will
almost always be home on time for supper. There are a lot of
small transmitter schemtics like below on the net. If you get a
good working one, you could put it on a web site and be popular
with others wanting to know where the cats dissapear to (I've
thought about doing the same thing in the past). Definately
should be mounted on a breakaway collar.

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/schematics/7413.jpg
http://www.reconnsworld.com/transmit/simplerf.gif
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/tx15trak.htm
http://www.commlinx.com.au/transmitters.htm