Re: TV Lift

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:No2dnShatojyn7fZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > The first is a flush-mounted PC in my kitchen cabinet. 8" Lilliput
>> > touchscreen.
>
> I meant to ask, how is that screen to work with?  How well does the
> touchscreen function?  How's the overall construction?

First, the URL!  www.leedickinson.com/projects

I'll HTML up some prettier pages with descriptions, but you all can at least
check out the pics.

I'm very pleased with it. It has both an 8 point and a 32 point calibration.
The 8 was fine, but I went ahead and did the 32 point anyway.  Getting the
software installed was a bit tough -- had to dig around on the included CD
to find the right drivers. But the driver includes the following great
features:

* Variable delay hold-to-right-click
* Touch-touch-drag
* Adjustable double-click "window" -- how precisely you have to hit the
exact same spot when double-clicking.

The display looks fine at 1024x768, though be sure to turn on "large fonts"
and bump the default font sizes in web browsers and things up a few points.
The color and contrast are a little muted, because of the layer of touch
membrane. One issue is that the viewing angle when looking down at the
screen from above rolls off quite quickly. I wish I had mounted my screen a
few inches higher in my cabinet door. Viewing angle from the sides and below
are both good.

As for construction, I've found it nicely built. I did crack my first screen
when I knocked it off the workbench as I was cutting the hole in my kitchen
cabinet. Only the touch membrane broke, and I was able to find the
replacement for that online. When I opened the device up, I found all the
components were connected through ribbon and header, so it was a snap to
repair.  The housing is solid, though the included stand stripped out the
first time I tried to adjust it. I didn't need it in my install, though.

If anyone wants to copy me, I recomend tracing the unit onto whatever you're
mounting it in, then cut inside the line. I then used a sanding block to
tweak the fit down to perfection. I beveled the cut slightly toward the
inside of the cabinet, so that I could press-fit the screen from behind. I'm
considering a bead of black RTV from behind, but so far this has not been
necessary.

On screen display is great -- color, contrast, etc. Even has both composite
and VGA inputs. The cables are 6' long, which I had to extend in my
installation.

Any other questions? :)

:Lee

E. Lee Dickinson