Re: Project ideas?

Of course it's possible. :)

There are several companies and hobbists who do this now:
  http://www.homeseer.com
  http://www.charmedquark.com
  http://www.bwired.nl/How_bwiredhcs.asp
  http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html

Plus, of course, all of the hardware-based solutions, with some level of
scripting or programming
  http://www.jdstechnologies.com/
  http://www.homeauto.com/main.asp
  http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/elk-m1.htm
  http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/index.htm
  http://www.crestron.com/
  http://www.vantagecontrols.com/
  http://www.destinynetworks.com/

And I'm sure I've left out a whole bunch. One of the very cool things about
software is that if you don't like how somethings done, you can write your
own to change it!

Depending on the scope of the requirements of your project, you may want
to scale down your idea a bit, and tackle only a part of it. Is this hardware
or software engineering?

But, perhaps, you should either pick something in which you are not a newbie
and/or allow more than two weeks before the project that will culminate your
university career.

- Byron