Build your own Web Server / Gateway for $220 or less.

It's not a polished article by a long shot. (it contains a new look I'm
working on for my site at www.myblueroom.com ) To see the Elephant Web
Server / Gateway with the possibility for use also as a home automation
controller; click on the Elephant button on the left hand side of the
page. If you have a Cable / DSL modem then this article might be of
interest. (It replaces your router) I've been using one for about a
year, just wanted to share how it's done.
Total cost with software is less than $220 Canadian.
You can program it in Perl, PHP, and more. You configure it with your
browser.
With a little programming you could connect it to any serial based home
automation devices and control / monitor them from anywhere.
Hey it's cheaper and far more capable than a Stargate Web-Xpander $299
(Rabbit Based Ethernet to RS232 device).

Ultimately I would like to control the Cricket Thermostat and all the
other communications enabled devices on my site. As I have the firmware
I'll release as open source (GNU Hardware, firmware) I think this way
we can all benifit and get very reliable HA devices around the home.

Bill  www.myblueroom.com (*look for the Projects / Elephant tab)