Re: Need Controller Recommendations for Linux (alternative to Insteon)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 05:57:37 -0000, Richard S. Smith wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I am leaning towards the ACT TI-103.  I started with the O'Reilly
> "Smart Home Hacks" book and I'm surprised the authors did not mention
> it since it seems like a good controller to start with if you are a
> casual programmer and you want to teach yourself how X10 works and see
> results quickly.

It's not well known and that's probably one small problem. It's
definitely an industrial controller and the protocol seems setup for a
multidrop environment (RS485 type stuff). The one thing I find irksome
is the need to poll it for incoming X10/A10 strings. Granted you only
need to do it once every second (1/2 seccond is probably better).
It accepts ASCII commands (straight text, don't think it needs a
CR) and the commands are not overly complex. It does handle extended
codes.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site