Need Controller Recommendations for Linux (alternative to Insteon)

I've been working with the Insteon V2 USB and it's becoming clear that
getting it to work with Linux in a robust manner will be a royal pain.
I mean just as a straight X10 controller, I'm not overly concerned
about Insteon itself.

I want to get people's opinions on what the best X10 controller is,
given these priorities:

1. Must work and be reliable (that is, after making the allowances for
X10 reliability in general).

2. Must support the full range of X10 commands, house/unit codes,
querying of devices, etc.

3. Must be easy to program under Linux.  When I say "easy" I mean
whatever API I use should already work and be well understood.

I don't want to feel like I'm the first one trying to do something,
and that's exactly what it's like with Insteon and USB.

I also want to be able to do all my work in user-space and not have to
build my own device drivers or hack on the kernel level (like what Neil
Cherry is doing).  I've been trying to get the Linux USB HID interface
to work but no one seems to know how to do it and I've got better
things to do with my life.

I am really interested to hear what other Linux users are doing with
this issue and what the most popular controllers are.

Thanks, as always.

 Richard S. Smith / Email: rss@xxxxxxxxx / Web: http://www.rssnet.org/