Re: XTB - the Future of X10 has arrived!

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 03:40:05 GMT, BruceR <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> While higher bandwidth is always welcome for broadband connections,
>> the X10 technology's problem has never really been one of speed but
>> of reliability and resistance to interference from other PLC signal
>
> OH pulleze.  If you 60 baud is nowhere enough bandwidth.
>
> How's your 110 baud modem, teletype, and PDP-8?
> What was good enough then is good enough now.

Well, it was actually a PDP-10 but you got the rest right. Of course
there's no comparison with that to modern day computing, BUT, just how
much bandwidth is really needed to turn on a light switch? Really no
more now than 30 years ago. What's REALLY important to me is that the
light goes on or off when it should, every time.  To that end I've
ripped out all my X10 stuff in favor of Insteon. It works much better
for single commands BUT, until I can run a macro error free without
inserting a bunch of delays, it's actually not as good as what I had
with X10.  So if the XTB can solve the X10 signalling issues I'll
happily use the X10 feature of the Insteon switches til I have a better
controller.