Re: INSTEON: Let the recalls begin ...

In article <MJ-dnZMHGKjuaSHZnZ2dnUVZ_oKdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>, ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx (Robert Green) writes:

| Must respectfully disagree.  With X-10, I take a yellow pad, twist two dials
| and mark down "Bathroom = F10" and I am done.  Insteon apparently adds a fun
| "manual linking" step to that installation process.   They also apparently
| added a magical "reset upon unknown circumstances" feature long ago that
| they still have not resolved. Those aren't the "same" problems, they are
| "new" problems, and apparently thorny ones if these devices can unlink and
| relink and reset themselves at will with no clue as to why.

To be fair, this isn't so much an X10 (protocol) versus Insteon issue as
X10 (manufacturer) versus Smarthome.  Smarthome had an X10 switch with no
dials but with various "reset upon unknown circumstances" features along
with "turn on and off upon unknown circumstances(*)" features long ago.
Of course, it also featured a higher price point than X10 (manufacturer)
switches.  Smarthome's initial Insteon offerings may well be better than
their initial X10 (protocol) offerings.

(*) At least the circumstances were unknown to Smarthome...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com