Re: Insteon now or wait?

news:44c278b2.376205390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I think you need to re-read my posts re Insteon. I was the first person to
> post a "hands on" review of Insteon to CHA and I gave it very good marks
> (but with the disclaimer that SmartHome and the engineer who designed
> Insteon have poor track records). I have reason to believe that Bruce and
> some of the others who have tried Insteon have done so based on my
> positive
> review.
>
> I still have a positive opinion of the Insteon concept and technology but
> also still worry that SmartHome and the designer will screw it up by
> cutting
> corners to cut costs. The current flicker problem experienced by some
> users
> looks like they may have done just that.
>
> I'm currently working on a DIY translator that will do what you want (and
> much more). It is probably a couple of months away.
>
> However, I'd suggest you first find the root cause(s) of your X-10 woes.
> Insteon will have trouble with CFLs that output noise and will also be
> bothered (perhaps to a lesser degree) by the same signal sinks. The
> Insteon
> carrier is 131.65kHz as opposed to X-10's 120kHz so they will be affected
> by
> the same things. If you don't already have an ESM1 meter, my advice is to
> get one. It can eliminate most of the guesswork when troubleshooting.
>
> As for hardwired motion sensor controlled lights acting up, that would
> seem
> to indicate your problems are not all related to X-10.

Yes, but the decision not to turn on is controlled by some Ocelot code and a
variable. My first thought was a errant clock, but the Ocelot checked out
OK. So I reloaded the Kernel and reprogrammed anyway. It seemed OK for a day
or two, but it's acting up again now. Strangely the TOD variable is being
set properly.