Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

> Just purchased a house built in the early 50s. Almost
> all the lights are controlled by latching relays...

If the circuits are controlled from a central relay / power distribution
board you might be able to replace it with a CentraLite system.  You'd have
to run new low voltage control cables to the places where the remote buttons
are now.

A simpler method would be to use a PLC such as X10 or Insteon (many threads
here describe problems with these) or an RF system such as Z-Wave.
Unfortunately, each of these systems was designed for a somewhat different
physical construction than what you have so each would involve some degree
of kludging to make it work.

How handy are you at running new low voltage wires in an existing home?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics