What can I replace this latching relay system with?

Just purchased a house built in the early 50s. Almost all the lights
are controlled by latching relays, with low voltage switches in the
walls connected to the relays in the ceiling boxes with 3 conductor
cable (there are also some relay-controlled outlets, and I haven't yet
figured out where the relays are for those). There is a central
transformer, connected to each switch by additional two conductor wires
(no idea if they are daisy chained or home run, but I assume the
former). There are also a couple of remote multi-function switches,
which have a knob that allow you to choose one of 10 or so different
relays to control, along with a switch that turns the remote fixture on
or off. I assume the remote is wired directly to the remote relays
using more 3 conductor cable. Most wiring is similar to what we used to
call rotor cable (for wiring up TV antenna rotors), but some is simply
three solid conductor wires twisted together.

Anyway, I'd like to replace this sytem with something a bit more
modern. Although all the relays work (one or two are starting to give
me a little trouble), I'd like to have the ability to dim lights, and
even better, set up some automated controls. Is there any system that
will allow me to use the existing wiring infrastructure? The walls are
plaster so I don't want to tear them apart.

Please respond in the newsgroup.

Thanks,

Steve