Re: Sound recognition (not voice) - recording instances and duration of

"BondyBoy" <bondyboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Cheers guys, I'll try out your suggestions tonight, looprecorder looks
> like it may help, but it'll still require manual input from me to note
> when these alarms are happening
>
> so you dont know of an application where, upon hearing a certain wave
> shape (that would be "shown" to it beforehand) I could program it
> populate a spreadsheet or database?

DragonDictate can be set up to run macros based on word recognition.  I
assume it could be set up to recognize your warble as a "command word" and
then excute a Word macro that adds a date/time stamp to a text file.  I've
never tried it though.  My experiment trying to decode dog barks was pretty
poor, if that's worth anything.  I do have DragonDictate running in the
other room and I do have a warbling piezo siren . . .

Even if it could be made to do that, I think it would be pretty worthless
for evidentiary purposes, though because someone could claim those were car
horns or geese honking.  I assume this has got some element of a dispute to
it.

I'd still vote for CoolEdit (or any number of WAV or MP3 recording programs)
set so that a day's worth of sound could be archived to CDRW.  Your evidence
would be far more solid since you could print out the CoolEdit wave files
showing the unique shape of the sound (I am assuming a warble alarm will
make a very noticeably uniform set of sine waves) with the time markers at
the bottom of the readout showing exactly when they occurred.

You can also add control sounds, like your car horn honking in your
driveway, to illustrate the relative loudness of the siren.

--
Bobby G.