Re: Trash-Bot

Bill Kearney wrote:
>>I want to do something similiar.  But I wanted the bot to leave it at the
>>curb.  And getting the can off itself and onto the curb seemed too hard.
>

> Don't bother.  Just automate the can or a carrier.  The downside, of course,
> would be getting the trash guys to leave the damned thing upright so it
> could return to storage.  Somehow robotwars comes to mind with automatic
> righting devices.
>
> I don't think it'd be all that good an idea to attach the motor/carrier
> directly to a can.  The way they smack around the cans would wreak havoc on
> any sort of motorized assembly.
>
> Better to leave the cans separate and try to find ways to encourage them
> being put back into the carrier.  If you're dealing with being disabled it
> might be reasonable to ask the guys on the truck and/or the dispatch office
> to help a little more than usual.  No guarantees, of course, and not all
> areas have cooperative personnel.  But it'd be worth asking.
>
> -Bill Kearney

I don't think it's that hard.  Put it on a flat bed small wheel
slow moving bot. When the bot gets to position, a jack screw
raises one end of the bed, creating a ramp. A push arm slides the
can(s) to the ground. The bot goes back to it's loaction at the
house, leaving teh cans behind.  When empty, the disabled person
has a better ability to bring them back him/herself. Alternatively,
the bot and the person both go to the empty can, the person loads
it on the bot, and the bot rolls it back.  Obviously the degree/
type of disability could prevent the problem. But for those who
just can't carry a loaded can, some form of mechanized aid
similar to what's being discussed may be practical.

What I don't see as viable is leaving the bot "out there"
for thieves/vandals enjoyment.

Ed