Re: Finishing basement, suggestion on RG6 cable needed

In article <TciDf.20467$Jd.13667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
DecaturTxCowboy  <DTC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Timothy Daniels wrote:
>> "Bill Kearney" wrote:
>>
>>> I used a 50' ethernet cable to move the unit around
>>> and then a laptop running NetStumbler to get a graph
>>> of signal strength.  Worked great!
>>

>>    Entering "netstumbler" in Google.com gets some
>> interesting websites.  Can you recommend good
>> newsgroups (in English) for the topic of WiFi?
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>
>NetStumbler is great, but only resolves actual signal strength with a
>few, if only one card. The Orinco Gold (?). For all other cards, you get
>a signal-to-noise reading.

Yeah. It's a PITA to find a card that works with NS.  I've got mine.

Doesn't any modern WiFI card driver have a "5 bars" signal strength
display? That should be fine for experimenting with AP placement at
home.

To save footwork, put the laptop in the far corner of the house and
move the AP around.  It doesn't need to be connected to an ethernet,
just a 100ft power extension cord for power. Have someone shout out
the signal strength.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.